The Daily Grind method of task management

More often than not, we are solving more than one problem at a time. It takes some work for me to keep track of which step I am on which problem. Not to mention the various solutions being implemented. I find that I quite like tasks lists but most electronic versions are either too cumbersome to use or too inaccessible. Most task list program either require you to enter a lot of information before it adds it while some are stuck on my PC whereas I need it on the go.
I think in a structured manner and I love outlines. I used to use a Palm PC and the most useful software on it to me was Natara Bonsai. It combined both outlines and a task lisk. That meant my thoughts could be converted into action immediately. The Palm PC has since died and I miss that software so much.
What I do now is a method I dub "The Daily Grind". It is sort of a grind because it requires work at the start of the day and at the end of the day. A high degree of discipline is required in maintaining it but if it does fall into disuse, updating it is a snap. I've been doing it on pen and paper and have found it easy to use and quick to analyze.


Basically it is just a task list with specific operations. First it needs to be set up. Take an honest look at what you do and what you produce on a daily basis. For me, I do tasks and I communicate (talk, call or e-mail) with others. So in my case, I have two columns on a piece of paper, one marked "To-Do" and another marked "Call/E-mail".  This the setup of my list.

Then, I write down things that have to be done today and the people I need to talk to. The list of things to do begins with an action word: "write report for Northbound Communications " or "find documentation on the 3 rd stage". It has to be specific. I add sub-points where necessary to remind me of key points. Entries to the list can also come from tasks from a project plan. The communications list begins with the method of contact followed by the person's name or organisation. Any other details are subpoints.
Throughout the day, I cross out from the list the people I communicated with and the tasks that are done. At the end of the day, I copy the incomplete list items onto a new piece of paper with 2 columns. The act of re-writing triggers thoughts. Additional information go in as subpoints. A complex task may be broken into several tasks.  A task may require information from others and those people are entered in the "Call/E-mail" list. Additional tasks or additional people to be contacted are also added. 
By doing it this way, it serves 2 purposes. I have the process to close and review the day's events and I have a list ready for me to guide me the next day.

0 comments: